------------------------------------------------------------------------ "The Ho-rror" A Slayers Fanfic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Slayers (c) Hajime Kanzaka * Rui Araizumi / TV TOKYO / SOFTX / Marubeni / Slayers Production Company. Released in North America by Software Sculptors, Ltd. and A.D.V. Films. This story may be freely redistributed, but not altered or used for profit. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ by Douglas MacDougall http://www.dougmacd.net/fanworks/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The long-haired blond was the one who finally broke the silence. "Talk to her, Lina." "What, ME? Why do I have to talk to her?" "Well, she's upset, and she looks up to you." Lina absently pushed her fork into the heapings of food in front of her, but she had lost her appetite. "Why doesn't Zelgadis talk to her?" Gourry scratched his temple. "Well, I think he's a little shocked by what she did." "Well, he's not the only one!" Gourry pressed on, trying his best to form a convincing argument. "Yeah, but you know how she feels about Zelgadis. If he says something the wrong way, it'd break her heart... But you say heartless things all the time, so she wouldn't mind at all!" He smiled at himself, proud of his infallible logic. Unfortunately, Lina seemed less impressed. She glared at him with a level stare, the promise of destructive magic gleaming in her eyes. "Lina...?" He backed away from the magic user. "Oh, all right. I suppose I do have some experience with this, after all." She pushed her chair away from the table, and walked outside to find the princess. * * * * * "Amelia?" She found the girl not far from the restaurant, in the top branches of a tree in a nearby park. Even after three years, it seemed the girl still found comfort in high places. "G- Go away." Her voice was scratchy, as if she'd been crying. Instead, Lina incanted, "Ray Wing!" and levitated up, so she could talk to the girl eye to eye. "Amelia..." "Just leave me alone! I'm a freak! A monster!" Lina couldn't help but look at the other girl, and doubted that any man would form that opinion. She was now a fully grown woman. And while the years had done nothing for Lina's bustline, Amelia had fully grown into her womanhood. Very fully, Lina noted bitterly. But the princess wasn't referring to that when she called herself a freak. "Amelia, I know it was a little weird. It startled all of us, but I'm sure it won't happen again." She scratched the back of her head, trying to think of something more encouraging to say. "But it will! I can feel it!" Amelia sobbed. "I've... I've been trying to hold it off for years, but I can't do it anymore! It's too hard!" "Y- Years?" Lina swallowed. "It just feels so natural. In my head, I know it's wrong, but in my gut..." She bowed her head, eyes downcast. Lina grabbed Amelia's shoulders, getting her attention. "Listen to your head!" "But you know how hard it is. You can't tell me you don't listen to your stomach..." Indeed, Lina's stomach growled. Dammit, she'd only had three plates of before Amelia's... incident. "But I don't scare everyone off when I eat. What you did..." Her mind shied away from the memory. It was too horrible. A scene she had witnessed dozens of times in the past, and hoped to never experience ever again. "I'm sorry," wailed the princess. "So sorry..." Aw, man. Lina groaned internally. "I- It's alright!" She sweated, and patted Amelia's back, trying to soothe her. "We... Forgive you?" That sounded like the right thing to say. Amelia looked up at Lina, watery eyes glistening with joy. "Really, Miss Lina? You mean it?" "S- Sure. Just try not to do it again." Or else I'll have to Elemekia Lance you, she added to herself. Her lower lip trembled. "But it's getting harder--" "C'mon! I know you can do it," cheered Lina. Her smile was forced, though, recalling the horrible memories from her youth. Never again! "After all, a princess like you -- a champion of the people -- should be strong enough to stop yourself from doing..." Shudder. "That again!" The purple-haired girl nodded, rubbing her eyes dry. "Yes!" She spoke with more confidence, balling her hands into fists. "You're right. If my sister could deal with it, then so can I!" "Sister?" A deep sense of dread overwhelmed the sorceress. "Yes! I won't let a little thing like this stop the Hammer of Justice! Standing up in the highest brances, she pointed her finger to the sky in triumph, and planted the other on her hip, throwing back her shoulder. Taking a deep breath, she strained the fabric of her shirt... And laughed. "OHO HO HO HO HO HO!!" ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Started 1999-10-20 Completed 2000-08-03 Last modified 2000-08-04 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Elemekia Lance!!"